Friday 13 January 2017

Happy 15th Birthday, My Dearest Madeline, I Wish You Could Attend

Happy 15th Birthday, My Dearest Madeline, I Wish You Could Attend


My Dearest Madeline,

 Today marks what would have been your 15th birthday.  I'd say Happy Birthday, but happy is the furthest thing from what I'm feeling today.  I hope you are in a happier place.  I know for what you did, you must have been in a tremendous amount of pain, and I wish I could have done more to make you feel better.  There's a lot of people who are wishing the same.  You leaving us on April 10 has left an unfillable void in our lives that will never be replaced.


There are little signs of you everywhere I go that reminds me of your spirit, inner beauty, and kindness.  There's a bunny that has been hanging out in my backyard.  Her presence is symbolic of your love of nature and animals.  The wisps of wind blowing through my cherry trees remind me of your free spirit and proving that you could not be harnessed and did things on your own terms.  The single ray of sunshine penetrating a thick stormy cloud layer represents the promise of hope and that your loss will bring continued awareness to a subject that needs addressing.



Today we are going to lunch with your brothers, your Mom, and 20 of your friends, but the table's head will be conspicuously vacant.  That place will never be filled.  This is a tribute to someone who united so many and sent a message that has resonated so loudly.  We will continue to honour your spirit because that's what keeps us moving forward, for looking backwards is far too painful.

What has happened in your honour since your death has been amazing.  The Maddie Project has spearheaded so many initiatives.  Over $140,000 has been donated to the foundation to date.  A team has been entered into this Fall's Scotiabank Marathon in the hope of raising over $100,000 to bring greater awareness to teenage mental health issues.  The Stony Lake Sprint has set up a raffle in your honour with all the proceeds going to The Maddie Project.  You have sparked a rallying cry amongst your friends, parents, strangers and the entire community.  So much good is coming from such a terrible loss.  You'd be proud.  I'm incredibly proud but wish I could tell you in person.

We're going to get through this.  There will be a lot of pain along the way, but we will persevere.
You will always be our Baby Girl and Zac and Sawyer's Big Sister.

I love you, and miss you incredibly. Shine bright, My Angel.

Dad
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment